The sights and sounds of the outback are often reflected in the marketing of special locations, attractions and events in country Queensland. The beauty is often used as a lure for amateur and professional photographers alike. Whilst little spots of magic exist across the outback regions nothing compares to the breathtaking beauty and diversity of outback experiences of the Paroo Shire.
Nestled in the south west corner of Queensland, the Paroo Shire is known as a ‘destination location’ for tourists, outback travellers and avid photographers keen to capture essence of the outback.
- The annual Cunnamulla Fella Festival celebrates the outback story. Over three amazing days locals and visitors alike enjoy incredible entertainment featuring cowboys, bull riders, shearers, stockmen, country music, bull riding, and fireworks. It’s an unforgettable experience that provides some of the most amazing images for all photographers.
- Eulo is dinosaur country where it’s normal to hear people talking about megafauna and giant wombats! A wonderful little town only one-hour’s drive from Cunnamulla, there are hundreds of photo opportunities starting with the whole dinosaur experience, followed by water scenes along the Paroo River and Five Mile Waterhole, and ending with another magic artesian bath time scene overlooking an outback sunset!
- Capture outback Queensland life in the late 1800’s with a visit to Wyandra and photos of the historic Power House Museum. It’s truly a ‘walk through time’.
- Yowah is opal country and the location of the famous Yowah Opal Festival that’s held annually in July. Situated an easy two-hour drive from Cunnamulla the festival celebrates the towns strong connection to the regions internationally famous export – ‘Opals’. This amazing event features displays of Yowah Black, Crystal and Light Boulder opals making for some stunning photo opportunities.
- The Yowah Artesian Bore Baths are well known to grey nomads, outback travelers, and locals alike. Who hasn’t seen those images of visitors admiring the sunset from the comfort of their hot bath!
These are just some examples of the amazing photo opportunities in Paroo Shire to whet your appetite! It’s time to book your travel and accommodation and come on out to immerse yourself in another world.
The Paroo Shire is truly part of the amazing outback Queensland experience – come and Live like a local!